- tags: Learning English,读书笔记
- source: Joseph Devlin. How to Speak and Write Correctly, 2007. http://archive.org/details/how_to_speak_and_write_correctly_librivox.
I found this book in my Kindle on the subway to work this morning. And remembered that I downloaded it free from the Kindle store years ago. For some reasons, maybe my English was not good enough to read it, I haven’t read it yet. After read a little, I think it’s prefect for me for now.
The reasons is:
- With Kindle, it provides some tooltips over the new words, so I can read it without a barrier.
- Also it provided me some new words to remember, as I don’t like to remember new words one by one from some apps, which I will never use them and then forget them.
- I found some audios from archive.org, so I can listen to it how to pronounce the new words.
The steps I read this book should be:
- Read it on my Kindle, mark some words to remember.
- Listen to the audios, and read again.
- Take notes with my own words.
CHAPTER I: REQUIREMENTS OF SPEECH⌗
Only about 2,000 Words Are Required⌗
- The key of master English is knowing where to place them, that also let us master how to speak and write correctly.
- Use simple words as possible as you can, because great scholars and writers and polite do so.
- Simple words made your speech or the things you write easy to understand.
Nine Great Classes of Words⌗
Article - Only two: a or an and the.⌗
Noun - Proper and Common. The most important.⌗
Nouns are varied by:
- Person - First(I), Second(You), Third(She,He,It)
- Number - Singular(单数) and Plural(复数)
- Gender - two sexes, but four genders
- masculine（男性） - male kind
- feminine（女性）- female kind
- neuter（无性） - inanimate things or whatever is without life
- common（中性） - indeterminable, such as fish, mouse, bird, etc.
- Nominative - I,You,He,She
- Possessive - My,Your,His,Her
- Objective - Me,You,Him,Her
Adjective - A word which qualifies a noun.⌗
Three kinds of pronouns:
- personal I,Thou,He,She,It(We, You, They)
Verb - signifies action or the doing of something.⌗
Adverb (Adjust Verb) - modifies a verb, an adjective and sometimes another adverb.⌗
Preposition - connect words and to show the relation between the objects.⌗
Conjunction - join words, phrases, clauses and sentences together.⌗
Interjection（感叹词）- expresses surprise or some sudden emotion of the mind.⌗
- Purity（纯正） - precludes the use of:
- all slang(俚语) words
- vulgar(粗鲁) phrases
- obsolete terms
- foreign idioms
- ambiguous expressions
- or any ungrammatical(不合语法) language.
- Perspicuity（清晰）- clearest expression.
- Precision（精准）- concise(精准) and exact expression. Neither too long nor too short.